Fall brings beautiful colors, crispy air and the last hints of warm weather. Take advantage of the amazing weather and visit these 10 destinations that are colored by the fall foliage each year. From Maine to Georgia and everywhere in between there is plenty to see and do. Go for the day or even a weekend and get out in nature by taking a hike, riding a bike trail or even a wine trail!
1. The Catskills, New York – With 35 mountain peaks and the home to 6 major rivers, the Catskills are just beautiful! Some of you might remember it has home to the famous Woodstock, or featured in Dirty Dancing. Visit Overlook Mountain for a breath taking view of the Catskills or take a zip line through the fall foliage!
2. Nashville, Tennessee – This city comes alive in the fall with several music festivals. The fall colors come alive and there is plenty to do in Nashville, home to Country Music! Visit Opryland or The Hermitage (President Andrew Jackson’s home) and the Nashville Zoo!
3. The Berkshires, Massachusetts – The perfect weekend escape for those in Philly, New York and Boston. Narrow winding roads covered in fall foliage and beautiful scenery! This is the perfect late September trip! Looking for scenic views? Check out Mt. Greylock and the shaker village museum along with the Berkshire Botanical Gardens.
4. Portland, Maine – Take a hike up the famed Bradbury Mountain for the full fall foliage. Walk around the quaint town with shopping and dining.
5. Providence, Rhode Island– During the day you can take in the fall foliage and at night take in the WaterFire, these are bonfires that line the city’s rivers at night!
6. Savannah, Georgia – Amongst the back drop of fall lays one of America’s most haunted cities. The city is rumored to come to life even more in fall and they take full advantage of it with haunted pub crawls, haunted tours and more.
7. Green Mountain National Forest, Vermont – More specifically the Green Mountain Byway. Talk about a BEAUTIFUL drive! Drive from Stowe Vermont, grab Ben and Jerry’s Ice cream where it began, visit the covered bridges and watch the fall colors on the Byway!
8. Connecticut Wine Trail – Follow the wine trail through 25 wineries, do this during fall for the best scenery and Fall Harvest when wines are at their peak!
9. Gatlinburg, Tennessee – Right in the Smoky Mountains, Gatlinburg offers an amazing all around view the fall colors. There are so many great attractions, including the sky lift up the mountain to ice skating and shopping. Talk about a bird’s eye view of color!
10. Upper Peninsula, Michigan – Did you know Michigan has one of the biggest state forest park systems in the country? While it is a little further inland this on is a must mention! Take your pick of 24 parks to view and relax at. View the great lakes and settle in for a glimpse of the Northern Lights during the fall!
Where do you love to visit during the fall?