Christmas is right around the corner, and when it comes to giving gifts, I like to choose gifts that are creative and budget friendly. That’s why I love the idea of DIY mason jar Christmas gifts, especially for kids. It is amazing what you can make with just a mason jar and a few other supplies, and in now time, you can have a beautiful DIY gift that any child on your holiday shopping list can enjoy.
I headed out to my local Dollar General the other day to see what gift ideas I could come up with while browsing the aisles. I was immediately drawn to their great selection of holiday mason jars. There were all different sizes and colors, and I immediately knew I wanted to turn some into DIY mason jar Christmas gifts for some kids on my list. So, I picked up some supplies for homemade playdough, some candy and a toy dinosaur for a candy jar, and some random holiday craft supplies to make a Christmas craft kit!
I was so excited to find such adorable items, they even had mini sized glue and colored pencils to fit in a jar for the craft kit. Everything was super affordable too, each of these gifts cost less than $15 to make including the packaging! Check out the tutorials below for the mason jar gifts I was able to put together. You can find these products and more at your local Dollar General.
DIY Mason Jar Candy Jar
- Large Mason Jar
- 1 Plastic toy Dinosaur
- Hot glue gun
- Silver or gold spray paint
- Your choice of candy
- Printable Gift Tag
1. Take your dinosaur outside and spray paint it gold or silver. The color choice is your preference, but gold or silver work best for the holidays. Leave it outside to dry.
2. While the dino is drying, fill the jar with your choice of candy.
3. Print and cut out the included gift tag below.
4. Hot glue the dinosaur to the top of the lid of the mason jar once dry.
5. Close the jar and attach the gift tag with twine.
Homemade Playdough Gift Jar
- 1 c. flour
- 1/2 c. salt
- 1 c. water
- 2 tsp. cream of tarter
- 1 1/2 tbs. vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. almond extract
- Mason jar
- Printable gift tag
1. Place flour, salt and cream of tarter in a bowl and mix.
2. Add water, oil, vanilla and almond extracts. Whisk thoroughly until no lumps remain.
2. Pour the mixture into a pot and cook over medium heat stirring constantly until the mixture thickens and you can no longer stir it. It will resemble playdough at this point.
3. Place sugar cookie playdough on a cutting board or wire rack to cool.
4. Once cool, add playdough to your mason jar.
5. Print and cut out the included gift tag below and either attach it with twine or print it on sticker paper as we did and attach it to the front of your jar.
DIY Mason Jar Craft Kit
- Wider mouthed mason jar
- Your choice of craft supplies
- Printable gift tag
1. Fill the jar with your selection of craft supplies. There are great choices in the holiday aisle including glitter glue, holiday peel and stick shapes, holiday stickers and more. It looks better if you take items like crayons and colored pencils out of their containers and place them in the jar separately.
2. Cut out the included printable gift tag below. Attach it to the jar with twin/ribbon or print it on sticker paper like we did and affix it to the front of your jar.
These 3 mason jar Christmas gifts for kids make the perfect gifts for the little ones on your list this year. Make one or two, or put together a bunch for a classroom or sport’s team. Don’t forget to stop by your local Dollar General for the best deals and quality selection. You can also check out their décor on their website.