Did you know that there are at least three different methods of division they are teaching kids in school today? Yeah, we just had one. Divide this number into that number and write down the answer. Now they have to use the designated method and show the work for that method or it is wrong. I wonder how many of us adults would pass in school today? I was explaining this to my oldest son the other day and he proceeded to tell my second oldest that “They only taught mommy one way to do division back in the old days.” I felt like I should disintegrate into dust right then, but I got to thinking, how many other things were different in the “old days.”
1. There were hardly any electronic toys. You went outside found a stick or a rock and you were good to go. I can remember making entire cooking shows out of plants I found in the yard. Too bad I don’t still foster that love for cooking. Everything is more fun when you aren’t old enough to do it.
2. Girls clothes were longer and covered more. Seriously, why does almost every outfit in the store for tween or teen girls look like it belongs on a stripper pole?
3. Electronics were not as prominent. These days you can’t walk two feet outside your door without seeing a cell phone attached to someones ear and even my 11 year old has an iPod Touch. When I was young, you were the coolest kid if you had a Walkman. I had a bright yellow sport one and I thought it rocked!
4. You could let your kids run loose in the neighborhood. We live in a fairly isolated, quiet area in the country outside of town, but there is no way I would feel comfortable letting any of my kids run around the neighborhood by themselves. Not with the constant stories you see in the news.
5. Songs were less raunchy. Is it just me or does pretty much any new song that come out cuss at you or talk about sex? Not that I don’t enjoy the beat of some, but when I have to mute parts of songs on the radio in the car, it is not a great thing. You also shouldn’t have to answer questions like “Mommy what does she want people to take off?” “Their coats honey, she wants them to take off their coats and stay awhile.”
6. Have you seen kids cartoons lately? Adventure Time, Chowder, The Amazing World of Gumball, Flapjack? What the hell were those guys smoking when they created these cartoons? I mean really, some of them are enough to give me nightmares. I grew up on Barney, Mr Rogers Neighborhood, Gummy Bears and Smurfs.
7. Everything is made for convenience now. There are tons more prepackaged foods, pay at the pump, self checkout lanes at the grocery store. Don’t get me wrong, I take advantage of some of these things, but they sure didn’t exist when I was growing up. If you walked out the door at the grocery store and told them you “did the self checkout” they called the cops.
What else was different when you were growing up and don’t say the color of your parents’ hair!