So, in case you haven’t heard about the beauty subscription boxes sweeping the Internet, Birchbox and Ipsy are two subscription based boxes that come ones a month full of sample-sized and sometimes full-sized beauty products. I recently signed up for each of these subscriptions on my own dime, and thought it would be fun to do a monthly post comparing the two to see who comes out ahead each month. I am terribly late this month, but the boxed usually come by around the 14th, so look for posts around the time in coming months.
About Ipsy and Birchbox
These two monthly beauty subscription boxes are very similar. They are both the same price at $10 a month, and that includes shipping. They also both include around the same amount of samples each month, usually 4-5. Birchbox, as the name would imply, comes in an adorably decorated box, while Ipsy comes in a signature purple metallic colored mailer with a new makeup bag included each month.
To some extent, you have no idea what is coming in your boxes each month. You take a beauty style quiz when you sign up for each of these subcriptions so they know you wants and needs, but other than that it is usually blind. On occasion, Birchbox or Ipsy will send you an email to let you help choose or customize what is in your box. For instance, for March Birchbox has sent me an email allowing me to choose one of three haircare samples, choose their custom beauty box or just let them surprise me based on my beauty profile. I chose to be surprised, because I love surprises and don’t get them any other way!
Birchbox Vs. Ipsy February 2015
So, let’s get down to it. Shall we?
What Came in my Birchbox Box?
- No. 4 Super Comb Prep and Protect sample: This was okay but I don’t use a lot of hair products and this made my hair greasy after one day.
- Sumita Color Contrast Eyeliner in Raina sample (navy blue): This was a really smooth and creamy eyeliner that made it hard to apply in a controlled way. It also was a pretty bright blue.
- Cynthia Rowley Beauty Creamy Lip Stain in Heartthrob sample: This was sheer and silky lip stain. I loved the formula, but if it were a different color I would use it more often.
- Gilchrist and Soames Spa Therapy Body Lotion sample: This smells of cucumber is super hydrating and I love it!
- Harvey Prince Hello, Limited Edition sample: This was okay, I do not generally wear scents of any kind, it sort of smelled like melon? I don’t know if I’ll wear it again.
- Eva NYC Up All Night Volumizing Spray sample: I haven’t made a decision on this yet. I’ve used it twice and it didn’t make my hair greasy, but not sure there is a benefit to use either.
- Cargo Cosmetics Mini Lip Gloss in Anguilla sample: This was a pretty, really pigmented pale pink lip gloss. It was more of a deluxe sample size, and I use it often.
- Pencil Me In Cosmetics Natural Eye Liner Pencil in Amethyst: This was more of an eggplant color and much easier to control application that the one Birchbox sent.
- ModelCo BLUSH Cheek Powder in Peach Bellini: This was one of my favorite items out of either subscription. It blends well, has great pigment and the color is perfect for me.
- Luxie Beauty Large Angled Face Brush 504: My absolute favorite item this month! This brush is well made, has super soft bristles and is great for contouring.