Halloween ended just one short week ago and already everyone around me is decking the halls. Don’t get me wrong, I love Christmas as much as the next person, but I like to take the time to really celebrate fall and Thanksgiving as well. That’s why I love these adorable little scarecrow oreo cookies. They are the perfect addition to any fall party and little ones can have a blast helping to make them. Check out the recipe below and bring some of these festive treats to your next celebration.
Scarecrow Oreo Cookies
Servings: 1 dozen
12 regular Oreo cookies
3 regular Oreos – icing removed and each wafer cut in half (12 total)
1 cup Wilton white chocolate melts
Yellow (or white) decorator icing gel
1/4 cup shredded wheat cereal
1/3 cup Wilton blue melts
1/3 cup Wilton bright green melts
1/3 cup Wilton orange melts
12 bugles chips
24 small Wilton candy eyes
6 orange M&M candies-cut in half
24 pink heart confetti sprinkles
Black decorator icing gel
1. In a microwave safe bowl, microwave the white chocolate melts for 45 seconds. Remove from microwave and stir. Continue to microwave in 10 second increments until melted and smooth.
2. Cover the bottom of each cookie mold with melted white chocolate.
3. Place an Oreo cookie on top of the melted white chocolate.
4. Cover each Oreo cookie with the melted white chocolate, up to the top of the mold.
5. Chill for 30 minutes.
6. Line a baking sheet with wax or parchment paper.
7. Gently remove each chilled cookie out of its mold and place on the lined baking sheet.
8. Pipe yellow (or white) icing at the top of each Oreo (and down the sides) where you would like the scarecrows hair to be. Place shredded wheat cereal on top of the icing. Allow to “dry” for 5-10 minutes.
9. In a microwave safe bowl, microwave the blue candy melts for 45 seconds. Stir until melted and smooth.
10. For the rim of the scarecrows hat, dip 4 chocolate wafer halves into the melted blue chocolate and place on the top of 4 white coated Oreos. It’s ok that it covers part of the hair. You want it to be sticking out from the hat. The round part of the wafers should be facing upwards.
11. For the tip of the hat, dip 4 bugle corn chips into the melted blue chocolate and place at the very top of each Oreo cookie. Place back on the lined baking sheet for 10 minutes to allow the chocolate hat to harden.
12. Repeat steps 9-11 using the orange and bright green chocolate melts.
13. Apply a small amount of white icing to the back of each candy eye and place two eyes on each scarecrow.
15. Using black decorator icing gel, pipe a smile on each scarecrow. At the top corner of each smile, place a heart shaped confetti candy piece. You do not have to dab icing on the back, the confetti candy will stay in place.
16. Dab a small amount of icing on the back of each Wilton flower candy and place on the scarecrow hats.