Making healthy eating choices should start young. Unfortunately, kids are not always open to trying new things, or making the best decisions when faced with healthy options versus junk food. The Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services wants to change that, and help children find ways to utilize the nutrition education they may receive at school in their daily lives. Through their 2014 Fresh for Florida Kids’ Student Chef Cook-Off.
Fresh for Florida Kids’ Student Chef Cook-Off
In Fresh for Florida Kids’ Student Chef Cook-Off, children have the ability to create and submit their own unique healthy snack creations into the contest until September 15th. The Student Chef Cook-Off is held in multiple Florida cities, and is open to grades 4-12. Once the entries are recieved, they will be judged, and three recipes will be chosen from each grade category.
The three recipes chosen will have the right to participate in a regional cook-off held in select Publix Apron Cooking Schools across the state! Contestants will have to recreate and present their healthy snack recipe for a chance to win great prizes! All contestants who are chosen to participate in the cook-off will win a prize, from a free Publix Aprons Cooking School Class to a Sports Authority gift card. They will also hold the title of the “Student Chef Ambassador” for the school year!
Be sure to visit the Florida Department of Agriculture website for more information, rules, and to Enter your snack recipe by September 15th!
Healthy Cinnamon Fruit Kabob Recipe
- 2 bananas
- 8 strawberries
- 2 English muffins
- 4 teaspoons butter or margarine
- Cinnamon to taste
- Whipped cream for dipping
- Kabob skewers
1. Place the English muffins in the toaster on medium setting.
2. Cut each of the strawberries in half, and slice the banana into large pieces.
3. Remove the English muffins from the toaster, and spread each halve with 1 teaspoon of butter or margarine. Sprinkle with some cinnamon to taste.
4. Slice each English muffin halve into four pieces.
5. Start layering the English muffin pieces and fruit onto each skewer. You will use one English muffin halve and two strawberries per kabob.
6. Place some whipped cream in a bowl for dipping, and enjoy!