A Reuben sandwich is so much more than just another pastrami sandwich. Piled high with warm, fall-apart homemade pastrami, quick sauerkraut recipe, Russian dressing and Swiss cheese, this is a sandwich that’s so good it can make a grown man cry!
This recipe is a copycat of the Reuben Sandwiches made famous by Katz’s Deli in NYC. Because I can’t fly halfway around the world every time I need a fix!
- 1 kg / 2 lb homemade pastrami (1 quantity, easy!) (Note 1)
- 10 slices light rye bread
- 10 slices Swiss cheese
- Butter , for spreading
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1/2 onion , thinly sliced
- 350g/ 12 oz white cabbage , thinly shredded (1/4 large head, 6 – 8 big handfuls)
- 1 1/4 cups (300ml) cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup (85 ml) water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp caraway seeds , optional (Note 2)
- 1 tbsp onion , finely minced
- 1 tbsp dill pickle/gherkin , finely minced
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream (can sub more mayo)
- 2.5 tbsp sriracha, spicy ketchup or Chili Sauce (or 1/4 cup ketchup + 2 tsp tabasco) (Note 3)
- 3 tsp horseradish (jar), to taste (spicy/tang)
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp sweet paprika
Mix ingredients, refrigerate 20 minutes+ (keeps 2 weeks).
Dissolve sugar and salt in vinegar.
Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 2 minutes to soften, don’t let it brown.
Add cabbage, vinegar, water and caraway seeds, give it a toss.
Cover, cook on low for 15 minutes, mixing once at 10 minutes.
Transfer to container (including liquid), cool until just warm. Keeps 2 weeks in the fridge.
Thinly slice still cold pastrami (Note 1). Place in a container with a couple of tablespoons of pastrami liquid (reserved from cooking, see pastrami recipe).
Microwave to warm through (or use other method of choice etc cover with foil and place in oven).
Preheat grill/broiler to medium high with shelf about 25cm/10″ from heat source.
Toast bread. Spread with butter, then 1 tbsp Russian Dressing on each piece.
Pick up pastrami and let excess juices drip away, then place on bread.
Do same for sauerkraut, pile onto pastrami, then top with cheese.
Also place cheese on other slice of bread (ie with just Russian Dressing).
Place under grill until cheese is just melted. Sandwich together and devour while hot!