Since I homeschool my boys, we spend all day, everyday together. However, half of that time, I am their “teacher.” Mealtimes give us an opportunity to connect and really come together as a family to share with each other, laugh and enjoy a great meal together. September is National Family Meals Month, which is dedicated to helping bring families together around the table. Hormel has asked me to put together a recipe that my family would enjoy eating together around the table, and I just couldn’t pass up sharing this one for butter pecan waffles with candied bacon. Of course, since I am on Weight Watchers, I couldn’t resist slimming it down a bit, but it is incredibly delicious, and a great way to bring the family together at the breakfast table!
National Family Meals Month
Hormel is a big proponent of National Family Meals Month, their products can easily be used as key ingredients to make creating family meals simpler, so that you have more time to spend around the table with your family. There are so many benefits to bringing the family together around the table for a meal.
Family meals eaten at home have been proven to benefit the health and wellness of children and adolescents, to fight obesity, substance abuse and to make families stronger—creating a positive impact on our communities and our nation as a whole.
Butter Pecan Waffles with Candied Bacon Topping
When I thought about creating a breakfast recipe with Hormel products, my mind instant went to Hormel Bacon Toppings, they are the perfect way to enhance your favorite meals or snacks with 100% real bacon. I picked some of the bacon pieces from the store, and I was ready to make an easy and delicious breakfast for the family.
- 1 1/2 c. flour
- 1/3 c. Splenda sugar blend
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 c. egg substitute
- 1 c. skim milk
- 1/2 c. buttermilk (can use 1/2 c. skim milk and 1 tbsp. lemon juice)
- 2 tbsp. melted butter
- 1/2 tbsp. vanilla
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- chopped pecans
For Candied Bacon Topping
- 1 container of Hormel 100% Real Bacon Pieces
- 1/2 c. Splenda Brown Sugar Blend
1. Preheat waffle iron and oven to 325 degrees.
2. Mix the Hormel Bacon Topping and brown sugar together in a bowl, spread onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and place it in the oven. This will cook for 20 minutes or so. Keep an eye on it, and remove from the oven when the brown sugar has carmelized onto the bacon pieces.
3. Mix all of the dry ingredients including flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and baking powder together in a bowl.
4. In a separate bowl, mix together the egg substitute, melted butter, vanilla, milk and buttermilk.
5. Slowly mix in the wet ingredients to the dry, mixing until just combined. Do not over-stir to avoid a chewy waffle. The batter will be lumpy.
6. Add about a cup of the waffle batter to a greased waffle iron and sprinkle with a desired amount of chopped pecans. Cook until the waffle is done.
7. Top the waffle with fresh maple syrup and your candied bacon topping for a delicious family breakfast!