Slow cooker meals are a personal favorite of mine all year round, but when Fall rolls around, we seem to use the Crockpot a lot more. I think it is because the holiday season is such a busy time, or because soups, chili and other items would traditionally make in a slow cooker taste so much better in the cool weather months. Whatever the reason, this slow cooker sweet and sour chicken has quickly become a family favorite in our home!
- 1-pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon of fresh ginger, minced
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- ⅓ cup of tamari or low sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of dark soy sauce – if you do not have this simply use
- ½ teaspoon of brown sugar instead.
- 3 tablespoons of honey (can also use brown sugar)
- 1-tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- ¼ teaspoon of sesame oil
- ¼ teaspoon of black pepper
- sea salt to taste (optional)
- 1-cup pineapple chunks (fresh or canned)
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1″ pieces
- 3 tablespoons of cool water
- 2-3 tablespoons of cornstarch
Step 1: Spray inside of slow cooker with non-stick coating spray.
Step 2: Place chicken inside the slow cooker with vegetables and pineapple.
Step 3: In a medium bowl whisk together chicken broth, soy sauce, dark soy sauce, honey, vinegar, tomato paste, sesame oil, garlic, ginger and black pepper. Pour sauce over chicken and push chicken down making sure chicken is covered with sauce.
Step 4: Cover slow cooker with lid and cook chicken on low heat for 5-7 hours or high heat for 2-3 hours.
Step 5: Tear or shred chicken with two forks into chunks if you are using whole chicken breasts.